PHYSIO STUDY

Improving global health through universal access to physiotherapy knowledge.

September 03, 2018

cerebral palsy definition | cerebral palsy types

 CEREBRAL PALSY DEFINATION / TYPES OF CP ( LITTLE’S DISEASE )

Defination
It’s
1) Persistent but not unchanging disorder of movement, tone and posture
2) due to non-progressive defect / lesion of immature brain at fetal life, infancy and childhood.
Also associated with spectrum of developmental disability such as
Ø Mental retardation
Ø  Epilepsy
Ø  Visual, hearing and speech defects
Ø  Strabismus
Ø  Cognitive dysfunction
Ø  Sensory, emotional and behavioral problems
                                                         OR                                                                     
Umbrella term covering non-progressive but often changing motor impairment syndrome that may or not involve sensory deficits that are caused by a non-progressive defect , lesion or anomaly of the developing bran and that can be in part a developmental diagnosis
First described by William Little in 1862.Then it was known as Little disease.

Classification

TOPOGRAPHIC

PHYSIOLOGICAL
1
MONOPLEGIA
1
SPASTIC
2
HEMIPLEGIA
2
EXTRAPYRAMIDAL
3
DIPLEGIA
3
ATAXIC
4
QUADRIPLEGIA
4
MIXED
5
DOUBLE HEMIPLEGIA
5
ATONIC
6
TRIPLEGIA
6
ATHETOID

TOPOGRAPHIC CLASSIFICATION
 
cerebral palsy definition ,cerebral palsy types
Topographic Classification of CP.
PHYSIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION
1) SPASTIC CP
Spasticity is defined as an velocity dependent increase in the physiological resistance of muscle to passive motion.
Result from damage to motor areas of the cerebrum; characterized by increased muscle tone, primarily of flexors and internal rotators, which might lead to permanent contractures and bone deformities.

SPASTIC DIPLEGIC
Involvement of legs more than arms often associated with premature birth. Only 11-20% are severely impaired.MR not so profound.

SPASTIC QUADRIPLEGIA
Involvement all four limbs, arms at least severely affected as leg. Severely impaired and MR. Often have bulbar symptomatology.

SPASTIC HEMIPLEGIA
Involvement of arm and leg on one side(arm > leg). Motor handicaps at least likely to be disabling. Intelligences is normal to dull.

2) ATAXIC CP
Ataxia is loss of balance, coordination, and fine motor control. Ataxic children cannot coordinate their movements. They are hypotonic during the first 2 years of life. Muscle tone becomes normal and ataxia becomes apparent toward the age of  2 to 3 years. Children who can walk have a wide-based gait and a mild intention tremor .Fine motor control is poor. Ataxia is associated when there is damage to the cerebellum (centre of balance and co-ordination).

3) ATHETOSIS CP
A condition that occurs when there is damage to the basal ganglia (masses of gray matter composed of neurons located deep within the cerebral hemispheres of the brain) results in an overflow of motor impulses to the muscles. Some characteristics of this type of CP include slow, writhing movements that are uncoordinated and involuntarily.

4) MIXED CP
Children with a mixed type of CP commonly have mild spasticity, dystonia. Ataxia may be a component of the motor dysfunction in patients in this group. Ataxia and spasticity often occur together. Spastic ataxic diplegia is a common mixed type that often is associated with hydrocephalus.

AREA AFFECTED IN CP
Site of brain injury
Pathological
Cortical
Periventricular lucomalacia   » Spastic diplegic
Sub-cortical
Stroke in utero  » Hemiplegic
Periventricular
Multifocal encephalomalacia  » Quadriplegia
Basal ganglia
Cerebellar  » ataxia
Cerebellum
Basal ganglia, thalamus, putamen  » dyskinetic
Brain stem






4 comments:

  1. I'm proud to say now that I am finally at a place where I have found something that works for me. Almost four years ago I began seeing a classical Homeopath. I was put on a constitutional remedy by Dr Itua herbal center who reside in west africa, and I am amazed at my healing thus far. I will continue to post what worked for me and what didn't in more blogs to come (as this one is getting quite long... and I'm not writing a book on here - not yet anyway). This discovery has not only helped the way I practice, but it has also given me further insight into the world of Herbal medicine. I came to know more about Dr Itua on Tv Station when I was taking my regular organic coffee at javamania coffee spot I watched the whole scene on how he uses Natural herbs to cure disease like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Cancers,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma, Neuroendocrine tumors,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,Alzheimer's disease, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Parkinson's disease, Als And Diabetes, I was moved by his words then I took a confident step to contact him regarding my health condition Herpes & Prostate Cancer, He prepared his herbal medicine then sent it to me through Courier which I took as it's was instructed and I found myself healing symptoms are all gone I have being watching my health for years now and I finally confirmed that is a permanent cure like he told me at our first conversations so now I'm healthy and happy I purchase his herbal tea which I usually take in the morning before starting my day because it feels good to find addiction on natural herbs than medical drugs so is what I'm doing and loving it more and More to come later on blogs sooner I will be writing my book.I will advise you to contact Doctor Itua Herbal Center for any kind of permanent cure and herbal remedy.Doctor Itua Email Contact: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Also On Whats-App Calls: +2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this blog.Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a disorder of movement and posture that appears during infancy or early childhood resulting from damage to the brain.CENTRE FOR TREATMENT OF CEREBRAL PALSY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to express how much I appreciate your informative and insightful blog on physiotherapy. Your articles have been an incredible resource for me as I've been searching for the best physiotherapy options in the area. The detailed information you provide about the expertise, personalized care, and holistic approach of physiotherapists is truly invaluable. Apart from this if you ever need a physiotherapist in zirakpur you can take advantage of Yes Physio. They provide exceptional services at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete